Skip to toolbar

[What if] Facepage suddenly stopped existing

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [What if] Facepage suddenly stopped existing

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  limburger 17 hours, 30 minutes ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42678xp
    Cult of Games Member

Since most of the companies in our hobby are relying a great deal on Facepage/META for their social media stuff and also their communities (at least that’s how it feels) I was wondering:

What would happen if facepage just stopped working. Would forums get a second life? Would the users all flock to discord for the next single-point-of-failure? Would something new emerge?

My guess is: currently Discord would be the place to go. And maybe some sites like OTT would benefit from an outage of facepage.

What’s your guess on this?

grantinvanman
    Participant
    2050xp

That would be awesome; I stopped using social media years ago. It’s not “social” in any way. Instagram, awful. Never tried others.

Noticeable improvement in overall life joy as a result. They all take too much work.

pagan8th
    Participant
    9846xp

If facecrook ceased to exist I’d think… “that’s a start… next target twatter”

limburger
    21577xp
    Cult of Games Member

the book of faesces going kaputt ?
    that would be a blessing for all mankind.

it probably would be the only thing to ever convince its current users to move to a different platform.

The bigger problem is that such a platform would inevitably be a clone and not much would change (if you’ve ever visited Reddit you’ll understand … ss dp)

Discord is for messaging. It won’t ever be close to classic forums.

And as for OTT … if there ever was a mass invasion of the kind of folks addicted to the book of faesces the community feeling would be gone in an instant. That is assuming the servers don’t melt down first …

somegeezer
    18361xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’d be hard to find out who’s died. I quit FB for a good few years but folks had to make some effort to let me know who’s popped their clogs.

I’m back now, not engaging much outside my actual friends and it’s bearable. Very bearable indeed.

redscope
    Participant
    2708xp

I never really got into facebook. Truth be told only I signed up about a year ago because it was used by a local gaming group to arrange weekly games. Mainly because I am not really very social. I have never had any great need to share what I am doing, or taking picture of food I have eaten to share.

That said I have to come see that they are a useful place for people to share information but do find facebook lacking in debate.

I do think that discord has started to replace facebook. The local gaming group has moved to it. I do think they are great social tools for the hobby space. I use them to arrange games, get advice on painting, share the hobby with people, I get to ask the local stores about the products.

In terms of OTT I have some what puzzled why it is not so popular. I look back sometimes at older postings and see a lot of different names, and certainly older postings had more people replying. Given how popular reddit is these days we cannot say the concept of a posting board is dead. Certainly the hobby is no less popular.

Is it because the way information is consumed has changed ? Do we get the hobby news more from youtube videos than written sites ? Why dont I post that often ? Is it because of the lack of interaction ? I am not sure but I do feel things change more post covid.

Looking back to the site stuff pre-covid it seems night and day compared to now. I dont know why it feels like that.

grantinvanman
    Participant
    2050xp

When I had an Instagram, I took photos of dumpsters. Nothing but. All with an iPhone, and turned into black and white, all arty and crap.  It was a commentary on the state of Instagram. Oddly, my account had a weird cult like following, and eventually I started really taking it to Instagram – I took photos of dumpsters from TV, movies, not even real ones. Then I got bored of it, and just shut it down.

moonunit
    Participant
    4504xp

Hahaha. People will have thought it meant something, and would have subscribed like lemmings, but it’s just dumpsters. That in itself probably means something… 🤔

limburger
    21577xp
    Cult of Games Member

@redscope I’d say it’s much the same across any community out there on the internet.
    Most tend to have more lurkers than active participants. And it’s usually the same names that tend to be the most active.

I’d also say that this hobby by its very nature is off-line. Except for the event (stay indoors! ™) there was no reason to have an online presence. That kind of makes it difficult to attract a large persistent community.

I also can’t help but mention that the speed of this website is not always helping even when just browsing the forums or projects, which sucks as the concept is magnificent.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)