Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Return of the VOID

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Return of the VOID

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 35 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 8 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m absolutely fired up about Dungeonalia.
    At first, I wasn’t all that sure I’d bother with it. But the recent discussion about bringing video games back to life on the tabletop got me thinking. I’m still working on @sundancer ‘s idea for Ghosts n’ Goblins. That is such a splendid idea for a tabletop game.

But it replaced my original idea, which was a Head-over-Heels type tabletop conversion.
    And that’s a game that the opening level is literally set in a dungeon (escaping the dungeon of Castle Blacktooth to bring Head and Heels together to go on a dungeon crawl is what the game is all about).

So while you’re all struggling to come up with an idea for Dungeonalia, I’ve already stolen a march and started 3d printing some walls and doors (Cast n Play Indoor Terrain Essentials is doing a lot of the heavy lifting for me) and am already making my foamboard stone-based modular room sections! As long as nobody else gets to hear about what I’m up to, I reckon I can keep a headstart over the rest of you for long enough to give me an advantage 😉

sundancer
    42787xp
    Cult of Games Member

It’s not like I have no idea… but most are just a generic fantasy dungeon.

I also thought I could enter my HeroQuest for the youngling category but even at the release in 1989 I was already out of the age range XD Flock I’m old!

@blinky465 If I know anything for sure in this hobby: projects can come to a very sudden stop at all times. So enjoy your headstart as long as it’s lasts 😉

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

My shelves of half-painted minis, aborted terrain and half-baked rulesets (along with about two hard drives of software development) might suggest differently, but I’m not sure what you mean @sundancer 🙂

danlee
    22424xp
    Cult of Games Member

I just finished my final model for my year’s target of catching up with the Raging Heroes monthly releases: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1794968/

thumbnail_IMG_0842

This week’s pledge is start planning my Dungeonalia project.

sundancer
    42787xp
    Cult of Games Member

Nice work.

It’s Monday. The night has been somewhat short and barely any sleep was had. The child is sick once again. Fever and sniffles only (thankfully)

5 more workdays ahead and then it’s off into “not working time” for 2 weeks. Maybe then I will have an idea for Dungeonalia. Currently (and not just today) I feel exhausted and dry in anything related to being creative.

Now: coffee time.

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

I had a lovely time over the weekend working on my Dungeonalia project. Then went to assemble the terrain and while it all looked nice, I had a real hard time getting it all to fit properly with a 1″ square grid. I think it’s something to do with the doorways being a little wider, and the surrounding wall sections not compensating enough for it. Or the staggered offset of the wall connectors. Or something.

29615819-IMG_20231217_000144

I’ve just spend this morning ignoring my colleagues requests for the PR I promised them at the end of last week, and resizing a load of Cast n Play STLs in Blender. Printer is already (once again) going burrrrrrr.

sundancer
    42787xp
    Cult of Games Member

Speaking of work.

Of! Course! people *now* remember that in 5 days the year ends and things need to be finished by then

*sigh* See you on the other side. FUEL UP DA COFFEE!

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

Most years I work through Xmas, so my working year usually ends on 31s Dec.
    This year, I made it abundantly clear that from Friday, that’s it from me, til the New Year (it won’t be – by Boxing Day I’ll probably be churning through work stuff on my laptop, just for a bit of peace and quiet and a break from my extended family!).

What that’s meant is I’m pretty “work light” this week, not starting anything major and all outstanding the tasks I do have are only due by the end of the year, so I’m kidding myself I can do them over Xmas if I need to (i.e. quite a bit more time to myself this week to do cool stuff like 3d printing, go for lunch with my wife etc.)

Printer is still going burrrrr. Tonight my brushes get to go schlep-slop (yep, I’m slap-chopping my terrain!)

sundancer
    42787xp
    Cult of Games Member

Tuesday!

@blinky465 at what point will you be starting to make your own resin? So your prints become “scratch build” again? XD

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

@sundancer – I sometimes feel like an alchemist when I’m mixing my resins. I’d like to say it’s because I’m searching for some elusive formula that combines high quality details, durability and flexibility, to create the perfect printing resin. The truth is I’m just too stingy to throw out any little dribble that’s left in a bottle, so I often mix a few different makes/types together.

In other news…. I just got back from HobbyCraft. And picked up these beauties!

IMG_20231220_170948

They are exactly the kind of thing I’d asked my (late) mother’s partner to make for me this Xmas.
    Ok, he’d have made them out of super quality wood, and made them nice and chunky and added a super shiny lacquer to make them look stunning. But with all he’s been through this year, I didn’t feel I should push him on how he’s getting on with them!

But the basic idea was this – to have some nice, rounded-cornered, deep(ish) boxes. Then I’d stand them on one edge, add some LED strip along the inside top edge and mount a clear acrylic shelf about half-way up. Laser cut a clear front and add some magnets in the corners to hold the front on and…. ta-da! Instant display cabinets for (slap-chop-and-edge-highlighted) miniatures.

Pete may yet come good, but I suspect he’s had lots of other things on his mind lately. So I’ll have a got at making my own half-arsed version and see how it turns out. For the rest of you, if you fancy making something similar, these boxes are available at half-price in HobbyCraft right now for a tenner a set. Get ’em while you can!

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ok, since we should all be getting into the Christmas Spirit by now…. here’s some music for you

(check out the sax solo! Awesome)

sundancer
    42787xp
    Cult of Games Member

my brain-cranium can’t the can and no compute also… What the flocking HELL

I need a beer.

Morning everyone.

blinky465
    17025xp
    Cult of Games Member

You’re welcome.

sundancer
    42787xp
    Cult of Games Member

Brain going downhill fast. 3 more hours than it’s off to home. finally.

sundancer
    42787xp
    Cult of Games Member

I need a pallet cleanser

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)