Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Post XBLS

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Post XBLS

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  limburger 1 hour, 55 minutes ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42792xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil. This includes no philosophy, no home computer culture wars.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Question of the week:

• What do you enjoy more during your hobby time when painting and building stuff? Listening to podcast or audiobooks? Watch a movie or TV series for the umpteenth time? Watch new stuff? Hobby in total silence?

And don’t forget the Secret Satan 2024 community thingy!

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42792xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: trying to do better!

My Answer:

• Most times I like to have things on that a) either don’t require me to look at something (that’s how paint dries on brushed) or b) just music. Things that require attention of the eyes don’t work most of the times.

now some happy tunes

pagan8th
    Participant
    10226xp

If I’m painting and building only a few things that will take me less than an hour, I tend to work in silence, but if I’m building/painting terrain, or assembling a box full of miniatures, or batch painting a unit of something then I listen to music.

Some of my hobby time is writing RPG stuff (a lot of time to be honest) and reading rules (skim rules? me? of course!) and that I prefer to do in silence, or possibly with something instrumental (maybe even thematic like LotR soundtrack).

This week I have a pledge… write the journey to the finale of my current One Ring story arc and start the finale itself. Big bad is almost painted and the minions… I’d like to thank Mythic Battles: Pantheon for providing those… but my players may not :).

sundancer
    42792xp
    Cult of Games Member

@pagan8th  any pics from the Big Bad yet? 8)

Monday moaning all.

pagan8th
    Participant
    10226xp

Sorry… can’t risk it @sundancer. What if one of my players looks at BoW? It will spoil the surprise.

sundancer
    42792xp
    Cult of Games Member

understandable

limburger
    21634xp
    Cult of Games Member

I can’t do hobby if I need to pay attention to anything else.

Music is the only thing that works.  So technically XLBS, the weekender, UHH and the yellow belly life shows eat into my hobby time. But it is nice to listen to other things hobby related so I’m counting it as hobby 😜

Rumour has it that worms 🪱 are en route too.

So once I’m really done with my 1:1 scale terrain projects I won’t have to worry about not having anything to paint or play 🙃 😅

20240916_170956

Pledge: Finish the last of the Giftmas painting

While painting  I can tune out a podcast like an actual conversation going on. I don’t invest as much as if I had an audiobook going. Details of the audiobook are nuanced like listening to a story as a kid. To tune out is like you’re ignoring a movie in theater while playing with your phone.

As others are getting info on their progress here’s my own. I’m just about ready to get back to my own painting again. With world events influencing shipping I’ve moved up my timeline. Secret Satan is finished up as well so I can be as selfish as I want.

Those Harryhausen Greeks will be getting a proper fast attack unit in future. I will also hint that there was some more “mini hunting” done and I think I don’t need to dig around for anything more. Twists and turns from 1s and 0s are upcoming.

As a quick jolt to the system I’ll switch gears for a palate cleanser and do unrelated figures to clear my brain.

@pagan8th I agree that the posting of photos is a chance you take with others seeing them. I do the same with denying Gerry or Ben a chance to look at private project stuff that way. Ss gar as quiet time, it’s sorely underrated.

@limburger Have you done any deep dives with lore videos to game systems while hobbying? There are some great ones out there that can last quite a bit. I’m plugging through a 3 hour one for Changeling the Dreaming and it really has been good learning while painting.

@sundancer When are we going to get that new fantasy army on the table? You also need one to play against your daughter so let’s see what inspiration you have for that. Oh, did you settle on SAGA or One Page Rules for a system? (goading our benevolent host with questions he had never made mention of or intent of going toward and laughing all the way) 😆

Pledge: try to get in more time actually playing the games (ridiculous, I know).

I’ve fallen into a hobby routine where on Fridays I’ll watch the Weekender while painting, then listen to audiobooks after that (I’m in Oregon, USA so the Weekender goes out at around noon for me). My audiobooks of choice are usually Big Finish Doctor Who stories. On Sunday mornings I’ll paint for an hour or two while watching XLBS, then get on with my day.

Like @sundancer, normally watching stuff doesn’t work for me, but the OTT shows are mostly audio, I can look up if it seems like they’re talking about something of particular interest.

Here’s Barry Andrews from Shriekback singing about dead people:

144artist
    25543xp
    Cult of Games Member

My Hobby Pledge is to Actually play more games of MCP with all these minis I’m painting.

On Fridays after work I like to unwind while assembling or base coating minis with Weekender on in the background.  The same holds true on Tuesdays after work except I listen to Sundancer and Gerry do their Unofficial Hobby Hangout while painting.  I find both nice being mostly conversation with moments of me looking up, as has been noted by @jeffersonpowers.  When I work on detail or fine assemblies I tend to listen to music or game related podcasts though I can always find a Discworld audiobook to listen to as well.  I’ve read most of them so many times it’s like hanging out with an old friend.  Sunday mornings are coffee, painting, and XLBS.

danlee
    22426xp
    Cult of Games Member

Just finished my Eldertubbies, so my pledge for the rest of the week is to start an a cool Alice in Wonderland diorama.

Dan’s 2024 Side Projects

thumbnail_IMG_1900

• What do you enjoy more during your hobby time when painting and building stuff? Listening to podcast or audiobooks? Watch a movie or TV series for the umpteenth time? Watch new stuff? Hobby in total silence? – I usually paint every day while watching the day’s news (weekdays – I recommend Novara Media) or the Weekender and XLBS (weekends).

Elder tabbies were creepy @danlee for that oddity I throw in a fat cat and the Soviet style anthem for his suffering. We wish that orange tabby the best.

limburger
    21634xp
    Cult of Games Member

@danlee you got them tubbies already ?
    Or did you go for the digital version and print them yourself ?

ah … answer is in the project 😀

@horati0nosebl0wer no I haven’t and as I said I can’t do things that require my attention.
    Even with audiobooks (currently listening to the ‘Forever’ series on audible) I need to do as little as possible to enjoy them.

//

Bolt-Action v3 rulebook contains an image of an unusual StuG …
    I think images got mixed up, because I’m pretty sure they know the difference between a machine gun team and a StuG 😉

The new army list construction is so much easier to parse, even though the standard infantry platoon more or less is the same as the original format. I’m sure the die hard bolt-action fan boys will have their own opinions on how things are worse than before, but I don’t care about them.

With Warlord creating their own subscription based service for rules + army lists (similar to Mantic’s, but without the ‘free’ subscription tier and with only one system at launch) it is an interesting time to be a wargamer.

oh … and my trike has been real fun. It’s saved me 5 minutes on my daily commute (I needed 25 minutes on my 8,5 Km route on my recumbent)
    Automated shifting does indeed shift based on pedal speed with the two profiles set at 70 and 60 cycles (or whatever the correct term is). Range is +/- 100 Km. provided I don’t use maximum power.  I do miss not having a rear view mirror, but that’s about it. There’s an app for additional tweaking  of power assist and shifting characteristics that I haven’t looked at in detail yet.

Anyways … on with the reading of the rules.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)