Skip to toolbar

[unofficial Weekender] Loosers and Lady Luck

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial Weekender] Loosers and Lady Luck

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 53 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)
  • Author

pagan8th
    Participant
    10226xp

I was just making light of bad situation. No offence.

The world is a crazy place. We’ve had racial tension locally. Police were involved. Happened in a lot of places in the UK.

We are definitely drifting into politics.

On a lighter not… my week off.

I have a cunning plan involving a paste table and wargaming. If it’s not a disaster then I’ll add it to the project. If it is… I may post my mistake as a cautionary tale anyway.

sundancer
    42792xp
    Cult of Games Member

No offence taken. Shouldn’t have brought politics into this thread.  It’s just scary.

What is a paste table?

pagan8th
    Participant
    10226xp

Folding table used when putting up wallpaper.

It folds the wrong way… too long, but my plan is to change that. Easier to show you when I’ve tried.

sundancer
    42792xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ah those. I’ve seen variations of those. Not one large table that folds in on itself but rather three separate ones that connect. Would make much more sense for wargaming IMHO.

IIRC they where 60x120cm so you could have a 120×120, a 60×120 or a 120×180 setup

pagan8th
    Participant
    10226xp

Haven’t picked it up yet as it’s raining and last thing I want is wet wood as it will warp, but this it the planned purchase.

table

Move the hinge to the short edge and remove the legs. fiddle about a bit with a saw and make it so I can drop a 3×3 mat in there leaving space for dice rolling, unit cards, etc.

That’s the plan anyway. But no plan survives first contact with the enemy (that enemy being my woodworking skills…)

Should have dimensions of 112 x 89 and I just realised that’s too small for a 3×3 mat… crap. New plan needed.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  pagan8th.

limburger
    21634xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’d worry about them not being stable/sturdy enough for gaming, but it is a good idea for a folding wargame table if you don’t have the luxury of a permanent setup.

What about a tabletopper on top of that ?
    You probably only need a few extra inches …

It’s kind of annoying how the default wargame table sizes never seem to match any convenient (folding) tables in furniture stores. The infamous scandawegian store has loads of options that would be just right if only they were a bit bigger.

I’m wondering if the size I’ve got isn’t too big for most games now that a lot of them are using 4×4 at best.

Height is another thing that can be tricky. With the supporting legs for the Kallax 2×4 I’ve used mine is 90 cm, but I do wonder if that isn’t limiting the maximum height the terrain can have.

Some of this stuff can only ever be tested in the real world, unless you’re not going in completely blind like I did.

pagan8th
    Participant
    10226xp

You misunderstand. I’m not using it as a table. I’m going to dismantle it, flip it upside down and use the underside as the skirmish table on top of a standard table. Think of it as a very large tray with hinges. It will make more sense when I have something to show.

But before I buy one I need to see it in store and check the feasibility of doing this. It’s an idea at the moment. The paste table is a cheap raw material and I’ll save all the scraps for other projects.

limburger
    21634xp
    Cult of Games Member

@pagan8th ah … as a cheap tabletopper

yeah, makes sense. Sounds like a plan.

I still think it is weird that (game)table sizes are unlike what appear to be ‘standard’ tabletop sizes for tables.
    Length usually isn’t an issue, but width tends to on the ‘not wide enough’ side of things. 90 ish centimeter is the best I’ve found.
    Such a shame that you’d have to frankenstein something useful out of existing things.

Of course the other option is to simply buy a wooden board of sufficient size at the local DIY.
    Add the edges with wood and you’re done.
    The problem is that you’d need something that is sufficiently big to stop it from warping I think, which means you get something heavy which isn’t easy to store/tranport.

I kind of ran into a similar issue for wallpaper.
    Apparently there is a standard size of 45cm  … and I’m kind of looking for something that’s 58-60cm.
    So I got to deal with trying to align bits on every panel or find something else instead.
    At the moment I’m thinking of simply giving up and painting the panels instead as the chance of me finding something useful are pretty slim.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  limburger.

@pagan8th Hmm.. the tabletop folding board sounds like an interesting idea. I’ve seen a few videos online doing something like that. I seem to recall someone also doing a hideaway board that they put behind a poster sized shadow box. It was used primarily for either skirmish or was something that was done for 15mm. Either way it sounds like you have a useful project.

@sundancer The news of possibly moving is not great but it sounds like a heavy toll decision. I’ll be moving as my housemate has pushed me far enough and I’m fed up with his antics. Being wound up emotionally is not the time to make real life altering decisions. I hope that you find some peace with coffee.

@limburger Peace of mind and an earfull of relief

pagan8th
    Participant
    10226xp

@limburger i think that Frankensteining is part of the hobby.

Problem of buying the wood separately is finding the right size and when you buy it loose you need the hinges, side panels etc and that increases the price.

Finding the right size anything is a problem. Gaps either side of fireplace are the wrong size of cupboards. Desks and shelves don’t fit in the space you want them. The sofa is too long.

The solution is become stinking rich and have a house built to your own specifcations (with electrical sockets in the right places as they are never where you need them), but that’s not happening at moment.

sundancer
    42792xp
    Cult of Games Member

Not sure if this was a smart or a dumb move but I asked my F(not-)LGS if they are going to stock Armoured Clash.

First response:

Hallo,

bisher ist Armoured Clash noch nicht bei uns gelistet. Du kannst uns gerne einmal einen Link dazu schicken, dann werden wir das überprüfen.

translation:

Hello,

Armoured Clash is not yet listed here. You are welcome to send us a link and we will check it out.

I then send them to the Warcradle distribution site. After that I got this response:

vielen Dank!
    Ich habe den Link zur Prüfung an unsere Produktredaktion weitergegeben.
    Wir kommen sobald uns möglich auf dich zurück.

translation:

Thank you very much!
    I have forwarded the link to our product editors for checking.
    We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

Yeah… spreading stuff into the market. Not sure why I’m doing this. Also I’m not sure why they didn’t knew of this as they do already stock other Warcradle product ranges.

pagan8th
    Participant
    10226xp

Wallpaper table idea is in the project system now, but early days. Only just got it home.

*chuckles while poking @sundancer with a stick* Starting a new army in a new game huh? Brave man

sundancer
    42792xp
    Cult of Games Member

na, just paving the ground for those that come after me

limburger
    21634xp
    Cult of Games Member

in other words : preparing for the Legion fire sale with something that may not require a trip across the entire world for it to get to you  😉

@pagan8th When I was planning my table I discovered that there was a webshop that would cut wood made to order.
    They even had furniture that could be tweaked so it can fit whatever size wall you’ve got.

It’s not cheap … but I’m sure it is cheaper than hand made custom furniture by a carpenter.

In a previous attempt at building something I had found a webshop that could provide scaffolding tubing cut to spec with construction guides for all sorts of things. It won’t win any prizes, but again it’s not as tricky (or expensive) as it used to be.
    Which reminds me that I still have the frames for two small tables. At that time I sort of attempted to add a tabletop, but it didn’t work like I had wanted to as I didn’t really know how to transport the material I actually needed so I settled for what proved to be a subpar alternative. Once I get all of my stuff moved I may try again and finish them.

otoh … frankensteining is very much part of our hobby. The 3D printing hype combined with the monopose minis that GW is producing has made it into somewhat of a lost art.

@sundancer I’m not that surprised they didn’t know about the game. There’s a lot of systems out there and only a tiny percentage sells in sufficient numbers for shops to want to keep it in stock. Xwing was more or less the second time a thing that wasn’t GW or a tradingcard game made it big. And that was a known IP and a multi-million dollar corporation spreading the concept through movies.

Anything else needs a heck of a lot of luck and timing to get the momentum going to be a stable system for a shop to want to invest in. It’s a bit of a chicken&egg paradox (no shops selling -> no players playing -> no one buying … ) which sucks, because corporations/shops want all of the money and they want it ‘now’ instead of spending time to create/grow the community the system needs.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)