Skip to toolbar

[unofficial Weekender] Loosers and Lady Luck

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial Weekender] Loosers and Lady Luck

Supported by (Turn Off)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 53 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 4 days, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42786xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil. This includes no philosophy, no home computer culture wars.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Question of the week:

• Dice rolls – how do you respond to dice not doing your bidding?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42786xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: maybe this time, for real, put paint on a mini again.

Answer: Most of the time I have a laugh with who ever I play with. Like last night when my mate had to hit on a 8+ with 2D6 and could hit *once* the entire turn. It was a disaster. I still lost in the end but that’s mostly because I got reckless with his bad dice rolling. Nuffle be praised. Most of the time a bad dice roll is just a short “aw shit” moment for me when it goes south. But then there are those days where you roll 2D6 and have 3x 12 in a row. Most awesome chaos! 8)

Now for some fitting music by the man himself:

pagan8th
    Participant
    10224xp

Someone bought me a ‘dunce hat and chair’ for dice once, but I immediately handed it to one of my players who has terrible dice luck.

We tend to remember the bad rolls and not the good ones. Dice do what dice do. You win some. You lose some.

If you had good luck all the time it would be boring. The most interesting stories involve failure.

Take the Death Star jail break. If Han had succeeded in the bluff over comms the scene would have ended with them going back to ship. No shoot out in the detention block. No trash compactor. No swinging across an abyss. No chase scenes. Boring.

Pledge: Finish up more figures

I’d share pics of the many I do have on hand and completed but that would ruin the Giftmas surprise. I am, however, almost done with some more on my Harryhausen Greek stuff so there’s something to show. I must admit Speedpaint has been very helpful as has been the lack of overall complications of paint scheme. Hooray for more naked figures.

Beyond that I picked up some more storage bins for figures so I now have proper places to keep my armies. It is an irritating fact though that the 1s and 0s have made them mandatory. The Arabian Knights were just the beginning.

Weekly question: Dice not doing my bidding? Thank Nuffle that my block dice are metal (and heavy as anything) so I can just chuck them without mercy. My other dice just go about their business and fall where they may. Sometimes the roll is better if you miss.

danlee
    22424xp
    Cult of Games Member

This week’s pledge is to actually paint the minis I started last week. I’m not particularly motivated to paint these particular minis for some reason.

• Dice rolls – how do you respond to dice not doing your bidding? – I haven’t played since pre-Covid, but in general I tended to not get worked up over bad dice rolls. I was more annoyed when I made a tactical mistake, as they were purely my fault.

ced1106
    Participant
    6224xp

Pretty much not interested in (buying) dice-based games anymore. Fifty or twenty bucks for yet another “roll a die and beat a target number” game? No thanks, already got at least two closets full of them, RPG’s, boardgames, miniature games. Sure, forty years ago, it was less expensive and cheaper to publish a game as a book (especially RPG’s) and have your customers buy their own dice. But, today, boardgames and customers willing to pay higher prices have made card game components more feasible. Yet instead of exploring game spaces with card-based mechanics, all the money is going towards proprietary miniatures and custom dice.

@ced1106 I think that making headway into playing Malifaux would up your alley for more card playing action. You only need one Fate Deck to play, a skirmish number of figures and all your triggers on character cards. The simple mechanics of playing a game of War really can’t be any more simple if you pick it up. All the tactical aspects come from synergies between effects.

sundancer
    42786xp
    Cult of Games Member

@ced1106 sadly companies produce what people will buy. And having “new shiny dice” still seems to pull in people. I could go with different mechanics as well alas here we are :S *looks at Legion, X-Wing and Fallout*

Almost Monday. Remain indoors!

limburger
    21632xp
    Cult of Games Member

Multi award winning moonstone only uses D4 as tokens for the moonstones … not sure why it has 2D6, but there will be a reason for it.

// —

Dice do what dice want. I just roll with the results …. 😀

I’ve been looking at my Moonstone kickstarter things, but I had to remind myself that I don’t have my paints and glues yet so things need to go back into the box.

I really should finish the final bits in my house so I can organize the move for real. It was easy to blame the weather last week, but this weekend I should have done something. Somehow there is a lack of motivation that I don’t understand. 🙁 I’m guessing that is the disadvantage of being on your own with nobody to help you stay motivated for things like this.

Anyways …

MUSIC

sundancer
    42786xp
    Cult of Games Member

D4 are more akin to caltrops than to dice!

Monday almost done! Dinner served and consumed. Now what to do with such an evening?!

limburger
    21632xp
    Cult of Games Member

D4’s and LEGO bricks … burglars will rue the day they enter my house without shoes 😀

sundancer
    42786xp
    Cult of Games Member

Would you look at the time. Thursday already. Let’s see….

• Battletech still didn’t deliver
    • prices for Armoured Clash are now “out there” [Look here] *
    • I did paint a bit of my Count Binface
    • It’s flocking hot again.

Overall a bit tired. But nothing to bad compared to other people I know.

Also currently there is “Stadtfest” going on here. Basically the complete city center is one big party/festival like area with different music stages and a lot of booze. If you don’t mind crowds you can enjoy some good music. I hate places being crammed like that.

sundancer
    42786xp
    Cult of Games Member

Did a little write-up on Armoured Clash.

Armoured Clash aufgedröselt

Use any translator you like 😉

grantinvanman
    Participant
    2104xp

@sundancer – I hear and empathize with you on Stadtfest! I’m in Calgary, and we have the world-famous Calgary Stampede. I used to live downtown, near the grounds, but just far enough away.

Imagine a Halloween in July. Mild banker by day, drunken fake cowboy by night! Day drinking from 8am for two weeks. And endless good old-fashioned debauchery.

I despise Stampede.

limburger
    21632xp
    Cult of Games Member

Finally got an update on my trike … it has arrived at the shop and needs to be assembled.
    Reallly looking forward to riding that beast 😀

I’ve caught a few glimpses of the new Starwars:Outlaw game.
    It feels a bit like the new Tombraider with a Starwars skin with additional bits of grinding to make better weapons/things.
    Not sure what the story is, but there appear to be no ff-ing Jedi … which is a bonus.
    OTOH … it’s Ubisoft..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)