Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Looking back to the future

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Looking back to the future

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 31 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42779xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil. This includes no philosophy, no home computer culture wars.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Question of the week:

• Almost August. Time to look back. Have you kept your new years resolutions?

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42779xp
    Cult of Games Member

I pledge to my continue my Grand Moff Tarkin. Pink slippers FTW!

Answer:

• Easy for me to ask and to answer: I didn’t do any new years resolutions! Haha! And you lot?

Music needed for the summer:

grantinvanman
    Participant
    2101xp

I pledge to continue my Viking longship, which now has one side planked! I did something – yay!

Answer (copy and paste!)

Easy for me to ask and to answer: I TOO didn’t do any new years resolutions! Haha! And you lot?

Music needed for the summer, a silly Disney club hit:

pagan8th
    Participant
    10222xp

Pledge is to get my RPG plans sorted out. It’s complicated.

January 1st is just an arbitrary date. If you really want to do something, you do it. I don’t make new years resolutions.

limburger
    21628xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge?

Can I first rant about how FedEx is useless?

First they fail to tell me that my package is ready for pickup.

And when I try to contact them I get the choice of an online chat bot or one that answers their phone (which they tried to hide in their website).

Net result is that I had to guess my package would still be at the pickup point … thank [insert deity of choice] it was.

I do get that the folk at the pickup point might not have had time to record that they had it, but I would expect the delivery company to have had the info.

Whoever decided chat bots could replace humans in support had a special place in hell reserved for them.

/rant

Anyways .. I got my copy and I’ve been looking at the rules. It even has been signed by the man himself ?

You’d think that when you design a new scale for armies you check you can run the battles in a regular sized table.

Instead they casually mention a 10 foot x 6 foot and suggest the use of centimeters instead of inches to make things fit on smaller tables.

I do wonder if that’s the same for their other epic scale terrain settings…

20240729_171851

ced1106
    Participant
    6224xp

> Have you kept your new years resolutions?

Sure. From, what, two or three years ago? 😛

Finally putting together the Battle Systems Shanty Town, for some futuristic / post-apoc shooty shoot. Remember that free Stargrave solo PDF that was released during the pandemic? Next in the queue.

Shantytown is modular, so it’s pretty flexible in how you can set up the buildings. Still trying to wrap my head around what you can build with it…

Shanty-Town-Core-Set-Contents-1080x638

sundancer
    42779xp
    Cult of Games Member

That’s the “worst” part for me with modular stuff: so much choice to build stuff that I end up in decision paralysis XD

limburger
    21628xp
    Cult of Games Member

yeah … complete freedom is not always a good thing.

OTOH … lack of freedom in assembling minis and terrain is equally annoying.

I like that the Hannibal book includes example armies for both Romans and Carthigians (sp?).
    That is like the best of both worlds.

That Hannibal box is … Epic 😀

Did I mention that my wargame table may be a bit too small for the big battles in the book ?

I know these are probably different Romans … but I kind of want to replay that opening battle from Gladiator.

grantinvanman
    Participant
    2101xp

Those are later Romans, kind of evokes the hairy Germans at Teutoberg Forest, around AD9. But yeah, fun scene! Burn ‘em all! ALL OF ‘EM! ☄️?

danlee
    22422xp
    Cult of Games Member

No pledge this week. Just got back from holiday so will probably just be catching up the rest of this week. Watching XLBS right now (WiFi too poor to watch videos when away and no option to download it). Unofficial hobby hangout video will be watched tomorrow.

• Almost August. Time to look back. Have you kept your new years resolutions? – I had three targets this year. So far all going well. 1) Study high magic. Read several books on the topic so far and found it very interesting. 2) Participate in OTT events. Entered Dungeonalia and Spring Clean Challenge. 3) Physical fitness. Been watching what I eat ok (except last week’s holiday). Been on the cross-trainer or out for a jog more or less every other day.

limburger
    21628xp
    Cult of Games Member

Late Romans ? Maybe they need a better clock & alarm 😉

And Why am I thinking “Punica wars”

that’s something completely different.

sundancer
    42779xp
    Cult of Games Member

(WiFi too poor to watch videos when away and no option to download it)

There is always the option to download the MP3 version if you really need a fix 😉 @danlee

danlee
    22422xp
    Cult of Games Member

Got some new paints in the post which inspired me to start painting a new model.

Dan’s 2024 Side Projects

thumbnail_IMG_1780

grantinvanman
    Participant
    2101xp

Super cool bright colours! ?

sundancer
    42779xp
    Cult of Games Member

This thread didn’t even make it to page 2.

So no new thread this week. Use the old one!!

Fresh pledge: finish the Dark Troopers as Tarkin is done!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)