Skip to toolbar

[unofficial weekender] Let's go to the movie!

Home Forums News, Rumours & General Discussion [unofficial weekender] Let's go to the movie!

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 18 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

sundancer
    42785xp
    Cult of Games Member

### Start of shameless copy and paste ###

First time visitor to OTT? Then please introduce yourself in the New Member Thread and look around in the Project System. Then come back and read on…

https://www.beastsofwar.com/forums/topic/introduce-yourselves-new-member-thread/

https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/

Read all of this before you start as it will save you any trouble later.

First thing you must do is make your “pledge”. It can be anything gaming related, big or small, and you don’t even have to finish it. No, in here, happiness is the road. Have fun doing whatever it is, but it is not a race. Accompany your work with pictures or we might think you are do something sinister and just using us for cover.

You are also presented with a few questions. It is to get the conversation started. Try and keep your answers ‘conversational’, no text speak, and certainly no “basically”. This is how we all get to know each other better. While you are here feel free to tell us a story, show a picture, joke, tales of love or woe, or just add your own little bit. This is the whole point…in here it is just us.

If you have never taken part before we may bark and bite, but we also like a cuddle! It is all done in the best possible taste and it is character building. feel free to give as good as you get.

A few other things to note: NO RELIGION & NO POLITICS! Glasgow pub rules are in effect. If you need to make a better point then it is fine, but don’t take the piss. And always keep it civil. This includes no philosophy, no home computer culture wars.

Play plenty of music to go with your work. Loud and through proper speakers. Write us a playlist of things we might not have heard before.

Now, after all of that there is only one ‘real’ rule in here and it cannot be broken: NO DICKS! (Exceptions may be made for little fighting men with little plastic/resin/metal wieners)

And don’t forget the highlights of the weekend: The Weekender on Friday and XLBS on Sunday. And the little show that is the unofficial Hobby Hangout over at twitch.tv

### End of shameless copy and paste ###

Question of the week:

• What movie has the most influence on your hobby in general? What movie pops into your mind every now and again when doing hobby?

And don’t forget the Secret Satan 2024 community thingy!

And now back to the show.

sundancer
    42785xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: stop sweating like a pig any maybe pick up a brush again

I’m going to have the most boring answer: The Empire Strikes Back. The best movie ever made. The bad guys win. Superior firepower wins! I’ve lost count on how many times I’ve watched that movie.

Music!

pagan8th
    Participant
    10224xp

Been tired lately and not got the energy for a pledge.

Not sure I can narrow it down to a single movie, but Star Wars (Original Trilogy) had a big impact on my life.

I like pulp games and Indiana Jones (again Original Trilogy) have an influence too.

danlee
    22424xp
    Cult of Games Member

Not had much motivation this last week, but the kids are back home now so things should get back to normal. Still got the same four models on my painting desk as last week. I did print off some more models for future projects though.

• What movie has the most influence on your hobby in general? What movie pops into your mind every now and again when doing hobby? – There a lots of movies I associated with my “geekery” but none specifically with the hobby. As I started with 40k and Warhammer Fantasy, neither of them really had a film back when I started. The various Star Wars films were often in the background when I started painting though, and later the Marvel movies.

grantinvanman
    Participant
    2104xp

Thanks to the wizardry that is air conditioning, my house is cool and nicely controlled. This time next month, I’ll be in Japan – countdown is on!

Pledge: carry on with my Legions Imperialis Sons of Horus start! It’s tedious, but going well.

Movie: A Bridge too Far. Always inspires me, and it’s SO long that I can put it on and forget about time.

Music: if you like blues, Slash’s Orgy of the Damned features some KILLER covers. Here, Brian Johnson of AC/DC fame does his best Tom Jones impression, while Steven Tyler of Aerosmith inhales a harmonica, whole! Fun!

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  grantinvanman. Reason: Sleping erers

sundancer
    42785xp
    Cult of Games Member

So the generell direction of the answers is: not a single movie but stuff that made me happy a a child 😉  I can get behind that.

XLBS today was a tease: showing stuff for Armoured Clash but not really. Need more! MOAR!

limburger
    21632xp
    Cult of Games Member

Seeing Justin casually dismiss the gigantic mouldlines on the AC terrain annoyed me a bit.
    I was like “Dude … they’re easy to clean, barely an inconvenience…”

// Movies ?
    Nah, I don’t have any that would be directly linked to hobby.
    Although there’d be a few that could work as inspiration.
    Starwars wouldn’t be on the top of that list though.

For SciFi that would be Alien-trilogy, Spaceballs and Galaxy Quest.

And then there’d be stuff for Westerns like almost anything with Clint Eastwood.

Top of that list would be “Once upon a time in the West” because of its soundtrack, but then it’s done by Ennio Morricone

But there’d be things like Bud Spencer & Terrence Hill too,  although I’d probably would pick the German dubs for these

//

One of the few “top x of things you must own” videos that are actually good:

It’s been too hot to do hobby lately. Or rather I can’t seem to find good motivation to do anything in this weather.

sundancer
    42785xp
    Cult of Games Member

Happy Monday!

Temps are below 20°C and I feel I can finally breathe again. Also showering feels like it has an effect and you’re not turning all sticky once you step out of the shower.

Now, more coffee.

grantinvanman
    Participant
    2104xp

After a nicely cool weekend, the weather here is turning decidedly hotter: 29c today, no cloud, but on the plus side the wildfire smoke has cleared almost completely! Breathing is back to normal.

limburger
    21632xp
    Cult of Games Member

Yay … I missed the saturday delivery so package was delivered to a pickup point today, but I gots my MAWM !!!

Temperatures appear to be approaching normality again, so I hope I can finish my 1:1 scale terrain work.
    I just wasn’t motivated enough to work in the heat.

Also … breaking a dowel after dissassambling and attempting to re-assemble a bit of  Ikea furniture didn’t help.
    At least the interwebs and discord gave me a solution, which I may try once I have made sure I have a replacement dowel.
    I think I had an extra when I unpacked the thing the first time … so with a bit of luck all I need to do is bend some metal back into shape and I’m back in business. It sucks when you’re trying to do a two-man job on your own, but then it doesn’t take that much to break dowels when you’ve got the leverage.

I know I’ve got plenty of hobby to do … and that’s before I get all of my stuff moved. 🙂

Pledge: put up atleast one more post

Hello again all.

The one movie that has influenced me the most for hobby? I think The 7th Voyage of Sinbad is it but the work of Harryhousen is the key factor. I jumped onto Greeks from Jason and the Argonauts. I might go off the rails one day (*he says with a chuckle*) and put together an Alice in Wonderland army to send off into the world. (*thinks for a moment and puts that on the list of “Maybe But Likely a Passing Thought” armies to build*)

Outside of that I have too many things to use much of anybody else’s visions whole cloth. Take inspiration from bits and pieces of things and reform it into something new.

sundancer
    42785xp
    Cult of Games Member

Pledge: put up atleast one more post

That will be in the WAYPN thread won’t it? 😉 @horati0nosebl0wer

Well, actually *put on glasses* it’s “Ray Harryhausen”. Hausen as in Haus in German for house. But yes, I get you. Those things are a work of beauty. I remember visiting movie studios in Berlin 30’ish years ago and they had some original Harryhausen models on display. Amazing stuff.

And you forgot music. Here, take some of mine:

pagan8th
    Participant
    10224xp

@sundancer does it make you feel old when you say “30’ish years ago”?

I know it made me feel old when I got my 30 years long service award from work. If I’d killed all the managers the first day I would have been released from prison sooner 🙂

sundancer
    42785xp
    Cult of Games Member

@pagan8th yes but no but yes.

*quietly updates hobby blog whistling innocently* @sundancer I have no idea what you’re talking about.

With the mention of westerns I think I’ll take a look at “A Fist Full of Dollars”. After “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly” it just seems fitting to keep up with more spaghetti westerns. Of course this is after rewatching “Bram Stoker’s Dracula” and “300”.

If we take the thought of the question and run further with it, what would be your most interesting film to twist into a game of 7TV?

I think bringing “Dark City” onto the tabletop would great and modify the rules like a UKGE scenario the crew talked about with a convention of zombies. A model of a lounge singer inspired by Jennifer Connely is mandatory at some point (ambience music optional).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)