Skip to toolbar

Paul Sawyer

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Companies:

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  darthcheese 4 days, 19 hours ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

somegeezer
    18406xp
    Cult of Games Member

This from Warlord Games.

I have some sad news for Warlord fans. Warlord’s co-founder, the mighty Paul Sawyer, collapsed earlier this year at the Salute show in London and has remained gravely ill for the last four months. Many of our loyal customers have been asking about him. I regret to say Paul will not be well enough to return to work. However, he remains cheerful and is surrounded by his loving family.

Paul and I set up Warlord Games over seventeen years ago, forming a dynamic team that has made tabletop historical gaming accessible to thousands of new hobbyists. His cheery and blokey approach to getting stuff done formed the “Warlord voice” for all these years.

He is hoping to be well enough to attend our Open Day later this month on the 21st September, where I am sure he will be delighted to meet and greet old friends, both customers and staff.

He was the best partner to set up a company with, always in high spirits and working like a trooper – he will be sorely missed around the Warlord offices.

~John Stallard, Warlord Games Co-Founder & CEO

I had no idea Paul was unwell. Wishing you the best Mr Sawyer sir *salutes*

sundancer
    42786xp
    Cult of Games Member

Just got the newsletter as well. Sad news.

Wishing you the best Paul.

angelicdespot
    4689xp
    Cult of Games Member

Very sad.

My formative years as a reader of White Dwarf involved Andy C and Jervis J constantly battling it out, but Paul was another big personality who very much made me feel that we were part of the same community. I’ve loved seeing him bring the same attitude to Warlord Games and though I’ve never really said hello, it’s always been fun seeing him at conventions.

I hope he gets better soon!

grantinvanman
    Participant
    2106xp

Just saw this as well – so many good memories. Bacon butty humour caught up with him.

I was the first external moderator on the Warlord Forum, during its very earliest days, and had many positive interactions with Paul. He was generous with saying thanks as I helped to crush the spam insurgents that were happening, and separated online virtual pugilists.

Best of luck, Paul “Fat Bloke” Sawyer!

grantinvanman
    Participant
    2106xp

Someone I know, who’s in “the know” has told me it’s a form of aggressive brain cancer. So worst news, probably.

Eesh, seems like all the mini world is over the pond and the personalities are fading out of the limelight. It sucks to hear that the mini circle is getting smaller.

wesadie1969
    2729xp
    Cult of Games Member

Paul has posted on his facebook page that it is indeed a nasty brain tumour. Absolutely gutted for Paul, his family and friends. All I can say is Fuck Cancer!

grantinvanman
    Participant
    2106xp

Yes, that’s where my friend found the info; I’m not on FB.

Truly a shitty ticket to draw in life’s lottery.

12 months expected, stage 4. Horrible.

somegeezer
    18406xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m not going to speculate but yes fuck cancer. Fuck it in the eyeball! ❤️❤️❤️

admiralandy
    1647xp
    Cult of Games Member

So, like the rest of you I also got the news through. And another early adult hero is soon to leave us it seems, he was a huge part of rekindling my wargaming love through WD after I returned from Uni. You can never thank someone enough when they inspire you in this hobby of ours.

Paul himself has posted in the Oldhammer community confirming his condition and that he has most likely a year, and he is at least looking forword to seeing his grandaughter in December. He may or maynot be at the open day in a few weeks, if he is, its likely to be his last 🙁 so anyone lucky enough to be attending and you get chance, thank him from all of us.

Final words, to paraphrase from Paul himself, work less, game more as thats the time you spend with your friends.

ewokkebab
    171xp
    Cult of Games Member

I had the pleasure of chatting to Paul a lot over Vent while playing City of Heroes and occasionally World of Warcraft,  he was the funniest and wisest head in the chatroom most times.

jamescutts
    6889xp
    Cult of Games Member

Incredibly sad news and something that must have been incredibly challenging to come to terms with given its serious nature, as many have said before fuck cancer!

An often underlooked but true giant of the hobby that has certainly been involved with something every gamer has read or interacted with for decades. I too have very fond memories of those old articles in White Dwarf and when I have been privileged enough to meet him in person he has always seemed both a beacon of positivity with a healthy dash of pragmatism, passionate about his projects and more than happy to share what he and his team had been working on. As a the level head of Warlord Games I think he will be very much missed, not just by his colleagues but also by us gamers for his direction and steer.

I was at Salute and had no idea this had happened, at first this made me very sad that my first salute experience was now going to always remind me of these events, however I’m glad I went and I think Pauls words on his own post are worth following “make the most of the time you have while you have it!” to that end I hope to plan many more trips and games in the future!

dags
    Participant
    3591xp

Such a inspirational figure in the hobby, so very sad.  And from my few interactions a genuinely lovely chap.  All the very best wishes to him, his family and friends.

darthcheese
    Participant
    4431xp

I’m sure a lot of people will have seen this, as it’s on the Warlord Facebook pages as well as lots of the Warhammer pages on Facebook, but in case you haven’t.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/make-dads-remaining-months-happy-comfortable

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)