Skip to toolbar

Online painting classes – anyone?

Home Forums Painting in Tabletop Gaming Online painting classes – anyone?

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 20 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  sundancer 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

torros
    23805xp
    Cult of Games Member

Its just term for a someone that buys something  I betting terms if you make a bet it can be said for that person to be having a punt

templar007
    52364xp
    Cult of Games Member

Ha Ha. Thanks everyone!

This is one of the bonuses of being a member of a global community.   Expanding my vocabulary!    ?

tmsmnns
    Participant
    3509xp

@warzan Sure I would love to help out. I’ll call you this week te see how we could get this together.

wolfie65
    Participant
    1230xp

I use gesso and watercolors, so online painting videos don’t help me much, other than watching them for relaxation purposes.

Got frustrated with the grainy texture of most acrylic (= plastic) paints – even artist quality ones – how very quickly they dry out, even if you close the lids religiously and, in the case of Citadel or similar wargames hobby paints, the price.

I have bad memories of using Airfix and Humbrol enamels back in the 70s – goopy, almost unmixable (mixing them usually results in mud) fumes will give you a headache even as a kid, nasty chemicals needed for cleanup – not good.

Tried oil paints, which some people use on larger historical pieces, but their drying time is measured in weeks or months, ok if you’re painting a display figure, not viable for armies.

I use watercolors with gesso as a primer, they do take some getting used to because they remain active until you actually seal the figure, washes have to be very carefully controlled, otherwise you’ll make a big mess and I do a lot of darklining, which used to be the norm back in the 70s and 80s – see ‘enamel’ above. Highlighting is almost never necessary, watercolors work sort of similar to contrast paints in that regard, shading is a little tricky, takes a steady hand and very fine brushes, I used to use Yarka, but since they are no longer available, I’ve switched to Roubloff. Creative Mark are also good, I find Winsor & Newton bristles too short.

My main set is by Scriptum, made for school children, over 20 years old and still as good as new. I have several other sets (Pelikan, Jolly, Winsor & Newton, Yarka….) as well as a whole tool box full of tubes from a variety of companies

With watercolors, you’re pretty much forced to paint from light to dark, I always find it kind of funny when the people in the TheirTube videos prime everything black, then proceed to apply coat after coat after coat of white to create ‘pre-highlights’ – and to be able to actually see the details……I primed black for a while in the early 00’s, but didn’t like how it dulled everything down and turned some colors – especially white and yellow – into problem children. Watercolor over white gesso gives you brilliant, bright yellow in one or two coats, no problem. I also like how watercolors make the minis look more like paintings – such as those by Jim Fitzpatrick, Jeffrey Jones or Frank Frazetta – rather than toys.

Someone mentioned cameras: I miss real cameras – meaning pre-digital. Not sure if there’s even anywhere in town that develops film anymore.

onlyonepinman
    18060xp
    Cult of Games Member

I would absolutely be interested in something like this. I have been painting a long time, sort of muddled my way through it and I guess developed my own style. Painting is by far the biggest part of my hobby and I am always keen and eager to learn new techniques and although I won’t ever be a pro painter or competition winner, learning is part of the fun

sundancer
    42848xp
    Cult of Games Member

I KNEW IT!

Flocking SPAMBOT

Spam bot alert!

please review marierodriguez  posting history! And while you’re at it: teresiamills  smells fishy too

@tgu3 @nakchak

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)