Skip to toolbar

Looking for Good Slinger Minis for Saga

Home Forums Historical Tabletop Game Discussions Looking for Good Slinger Minis for Saga

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  lloyd 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

lloyd
    Keymaster
    17726xp

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could point me to some good Slinger minis for:

• Vikings
    • Rus
    • Last Romans / Byzantines

Need to add a few to my army: https://www.beastsofwar.com/project/1096780/

Thanks in advance 🙂

bigdave
    3704xp
    Cult of Games Member

Evening brother @lloyd!

If you need them at short notice, Gripping Beast’s Dark Age Warriors kit has optional hands to convert the spear arms into slingers. Figures are a tad static but £22 for 40 of em is pretty good. The ability to switch the heads out gives you a few more options and you could always give them capes or something to make them more unique.

On the subject of head-swaps, since you’ve already got experience with Fireforge plastics, you could convert the plastic Mongol infantry with the use of a few head swaps to create Rus militia archers, or Bulgarian levy archers for example for the Byzantines.

It’s weighing up the costs and benefits of 12 really nice metal miniatures vs potentially 40 fairly ubiquitous plastics (24 to a box for the Mongols).

Warhansa’s Rus archers also look cool btw…

http://warhansa.com/index.php/katalog/rus_archers.html

https://fireforge-games.com/mongol-horde/16-steppe-warriors.html

https://www.grippingbeast.co.uk/GBP03_Dark_Age_Warriors–product–3276.html

janus1004
    4165xp

I recently painted 12 of the Gripping Beast plastics which I think are decent figures, would recommend them for both the vikings and the Rus (they would likely be looking same enough, considering that the slingers are the poorest troops anyway).IMG_1606

avernos
    Keymaster
    33940xp

or next month footsore release viking archers…. I’m just saying ^^

lloyd
    Keymaster
    17726xp

Thanks for the links etc. guy’s!

I’ve just thumb upped you all 🙂

Will get a read/look later after work.

phaidknott
    7023xp
    Cult of Games Member

Another recommendation for Footsore here

Early Saxon Slingers

No conversions needed (The Dark Age Irish Slingers are a lot nicer, but wouldn’t fit in with the forces you want to build) 🙂

innes
    11111xp
    Cult of Games Member

Just to let you know; The vikings in SAGA don’t have slingers in 2nd edition. Their levies are now armed with bows or javelins. The rules are the same for bows and slings so I’m still going to use my slingers which are Gripping Beast: Dark Age Warriors.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33940xp

yea we don’t care about that either, since it’s a small group of us playing and the two missile types are exactly the same we’re very easy going. You should pop round for a game some Sunday 🙂 Just don’t bring Rus filth

torros
    23805xp
    Cult of Games Member

Can they be any casualty figures or do they have specifically have to be wearing slings?

avernos
    Keymaster
    33940xp

I imagine crutchers would also be fine, but not hooks for hands

lloyd
    Keymaster
    17726xp

Hi @innes

They are for a Last Romans list which is a faction that dose have slingers.

I’m playing it as an army full of varangians and imagining the slingers to be some additional Rus Vikings the army has scraped up while on the march looking to get a little loot.

Hi @bigdave

Cheers for the links, I’ve already kit bashed 12 archers some of which look alot like the warhansa minis 🙂

I’m using them as Viking Thrall archers and as warriors with bows in a Last Romans list.

But want to throw some slingers in with them to remind me when i’m playing them as Last Roman levy.

lloyd
    Keymaster
    17726xp

@janus1004 your minis look cool. I’ll be checking them out.

Going to have a rummage through my sprues to make sure i dont have any hidden away.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)