Skip to toolbar

Flames of War Advice

Home Forums Historical Tabletop Game Discussions Flames of War Advice

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Companies:

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  avernos 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

m30wm1x
    2318xp
    Cult of Games Member

Advice wanted to fill a NWE German list to 100pt.

I started playing TANKS and have already got a 100pt British army but would like some advice to fill the German half of Hit the Beach, about 51pt. I’d thought that either neblewerfer and stug or 88’s and halftracks could be a good addition. Any and all advise from players would be great as I haven’t had a full game od FoW yet.

As for what unit markings they will get, I’m still looking to find units for the Germans that would have been both in and around Caen and later in Holland too.

Thanks for any help.

Anonymous
    0xp

I’ve only played a few games and honestly don’t have a clue but have a look a the German Starter Box – https://store.ontabletop.com/product/german-late-war-panzer-kampfgruppe-army-deal/ It has plenty of the toys you mentioned so would be great value for money for you…

The Colours of War book would also be good for the basic Unit Markings and paint schemes (if you need help there) – https://store.ontabletop.com/product/colours-of-war/  Hopefully some of the WW2 guys can pop in and give you further advice as to which German forces operated in these areas.

m30wm1x
    2318xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thanks for the response, I’m probably going to do 2nd Panzer Division and 352nd Volksgrenadier Division as I’m roughly trying to get forces that the 50th Northumbrian Division would’ve faced.

I was more asking what sort of support units are most fun that people have played? Looking at the contents of the German army group I’ll most likely not need build all of them, so more tanks, more artillery what’s good for a game?

avernos
    Keymaster
    33938xp

Hi @m30wm1x there are a couple of things I’m going to throw in here as a caveat.

Thing the first, very roughly for historical units a lot in the netherlands had been sent there after coming from the eastern front, I’ve not dug into it massively to get exact numbers as there were a lot of Kampfgruppe formed, but if they were at Caen they probably didn’t end up in the low lands. I’m sure others with better knowledge could probably tell you exactly who is where and when. So I’m going to give you a balanced force based on what I would add to hit the beach that is fairly accurate but won’t be a match.

Thing the second, I haven’t picked up the D-Day book for the Germans yet with the expanded choices, so I’m building the list based on the basic fortress europe lists. Points should be the same and you won’t really be missing out if you buy anything on this recommendation. But I would suggest getting the D-Day: German book.

Now list time, 51pts from hit the beach you say. So to that here’s what you could do.

5 StuGs run as 1 HQ and 2 platoons of 2 = 28pts, run as a separate formation.

if you pick up 2 boxes of halftracks you can run the infantry as Mechanised Pz Grens

I would certainly suggest Nebelwerfer, 6 if you can, they are your best bet for dropping smoke and pinning dug in infantry

it leaves you 10-12 pts, bulk out the StuGs and then maybe look into an aircraft or anti air for some variety.

I would suggest the stuGs first as it puts you around 75 points, so you can start playing with the 50 you have, push up to 75 pts and then grab the last bits and pieces to reach the 100 once you’ve seen how it plays and if you need something in particular to help you balance more against your regular opponents

beccas
    Participant
    1146xp

Consider taking some form of AA.  The new British Typhoons are a no brainer for British players.  You will need something to have a crack at them.

m30wm1x
    2318xp
    Cult of Games Member

Thanks everyone, @beccas I’d looked at the planes but will have to put the RAF on the list of next to get fot the British. I think it’s almost certain I’ll be adding at least some 88’s to the German side. Do you know if dedicated AA can still fire at ground targets? In the rules all I can tell is that they have RoF 1 against air targets.

@avernos The main opponent will probaly only be family for the forseeable so I’ll be building both armies. Getting a unit that fought back and forth with the 50th across Europe is impossible so 2nd Panzer and 352nd are right for in and around Caen and the 2nd were again at the Bulge and Rhine battles so I think that’s the best I’ll get, I really don’t want to do SS forces. I know it’ll lean to a less accurate history but should be fine for the look.

With the few extra’s from hit the beach and a desert rats box I also have a US and British para squad each so any good ideas for D-Day, Market Garden or Battle of the Bulge what if games appreciated.

It seems like a rough plan is sounding like, from the german starter force, 88’s definately maybe replacing 75’s and the neblewerfers as definates. I like Tiger 1’s so them too. Then also the halftracks, what sounds better, adding mech infantry to the existing, replacing them, or getting them to be a squad of the short 75’s and one of the 2cm AA?

m30wm1x
    2318xp
    Cult of Games Member

British list so far:

Desert Rats Rifle company; HQ, 2 SMLE platoons, 2 Carrier patrols with PIAT, 1 MMG carrier platoon

Desert Rats Cromwell squadron; HQ with 2 95mm CS, 1 Cromwell and Firefly troop, 1 Stuart patrol

Support; 2 25pdr troop, 2 Carrier OP, 1 AVRE section, M10 17pdr troop

A firefly before final varnish, wating for last oil paint to dry.

IMG_20200507_193440

beccas
    Participant
    1146xp

I put two Sdkfz 10/4’s in my list for 3 points.  Not super AA, but better than nothing.  And they are good against infantry and lightly armoured vehicles.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33938xp

And I generally run a couple of sdkfz 7/1 for the bucket of dice they bring

Dedicated AA roll all the dice against ground and air. Other things like the 88 that has been pressed into anti tank service only get 1 dice as they try to fire the wrong ammo.

I would just grab some half tracks so you can use your infantry as either standard or mechanised rather than paint any more.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)