Skip to toolbar

Cyberpunk Ruleset Recommendations?

Home Forums Science Fiction Tabletop Game Discussions Cyberpunk Ruleset Recommendations?

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  wolfie65 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

dafthelmet85
    Participant
    3850xp

Hi all, I’m a looking for a Cyberpunk Ruleset.

I play Infinity but fancy something less dense that I can play with non Infinity friends and my 10 year old.

Any recommendations?

Cheers.

avernos
    Keymaster
    33938xp

@darkdanegan I summon thee!

limburger
    21628xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’m guessing the 10 year old might be a bit tricky.

Cyberpunk Red: Combatzone  … but that’s a kickstarter and as I backed it I iz a bit biased.
    Getting the rules and minis may be a bit tricky (and expensive).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/monsterfightclub/cyberpunk-red-combat-zone/description

Reality’s Edge, published by Osprey
    https://www.wargamevault.com/product/296689/Realitys-Edge-Cyberpunk-Skirmish-Rules

Not sure if they’re a good fit, but Osprey rules tend to be cheap-ish so always worth a gamble.

darkdanegan
    21470xp
    Cult of Games Member

I can put a vote in for CodeBlade. I wrote a pretty detailed walkthrough in my project here.

Reality’s Edge and Hardwired are two other rulesets that I own, but I haven’t played those in anger yet.

Really enjoying CodeBlade – it’s very Cyberpunky. Not overly heavy in terms of rules but it’s very tactical so a youngling would need some support to get to grips with it most likely. Perhaps start them with Iron Samurai as they are the most “traditional” in terms of combat from a war gaming perspective.

dafthelmet85
    Participant
    3850xp

Thanks all! I will continue my investigations. Realities Edge keeps popping up so it’s good to hear from sensible people it’s worth a look!

jadealien
    Participant
    51xp

google Exploit Zero – STALKER7, has everything you would want or need across four books covering all types of play including co-op.

guillotine
    16024xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’ll cast another vote for Reality’s Edge. With the credibility of having played it only once  LOL! But I did play This is Not a Test a bunch which is by the same author and shares a lot rules-wise. In addition to being a solid rule set, the book is lovely laid out. I’m sure any cyberpunk fan will love it!

mkultra99
    Participant
    814xp

Uhm.. I’m guessing the people recommending “Realities Edge” for a 10 year old have never opened the book. Very dense and terribly laid out book. Also, it deviates from traditional Cyberpunk tropes. Would not recommend for 10 year old.

Low budget and open world and easy rules recommendation : Kill Sample Process

“All in One” package, easy rules, and holds true to Cyberpunk tropes recommendation: Cyberpunk Red: Combat Zone. This – buy the 120$ box set, includes everything you will need for 2 people to play, everything. Plenty of guidance and help on the active discord.

limburger
    21628xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’d say a 10 year old is a challenge for any system … depending on his capabilities with other games that is.

How much ‘cyber’ and ‘punk’ is needed anyway?
    It’s not exactly a genre that is kid-friendly …

What about 7 tv ?

7TV 2nd Edition

ok, no actual cyberpunk rules and minis … but as it is meant to replicate tv-shows surely something could be *eh* hacked ?
    Simply follow the ‘rule of cool’ and use magic effects to replicate cybertech.

Core Space and the “7 leagues from the borderlands” (and related systems) may be alternatives.

Stargrave is another candidate that could be tweaked to be more cyberpunk-ish as the difference between Sci Fi and Cyberpunk is more about attitude and less about tech itself.

jadealien
    Participant
    51xp

I went with exploit zero as it was about cyber punk but I think combat zone by EM4 that you mentioned may well be the best choice just to get started with a young kid.

wolfie65
    Participant
    1230xp

You could always go back a ways and adapt ye olde Shadowrun, which is an RPG, but transfers quite easily.

dafthelmet85
    Participant
    3850xp

Thanks all, really helpful. The 10 year old plays OPR, Imperial Assault and X Wing well (regularly beats me!!) I’ll streamline where needed it’s more an aesthetic to use Infinity and other Cyberpunk minis. 7 TV is a great shout!!

wolfie65
    Participant
    1230xp

For additional inspiration, the original Shadowrun novels are actually pretty good, Never deal with a Dragon is the first in the series.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)