Skip to toolbar

Bolt Action Update

Home Forums Historical Tabletop Game Discussions Bolt Action Update

Supported by (Turn Off)

Related Games:

Related Companies:

This topic contains 43 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  limburger 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

jamescutts
    6889xp
    Cult of Games Member

have to a agree, I like the changes, while the extra shot seems small it makes a difference with the other tweaks to the rules for MMG teams. I think now that the vehicle platoon is a min of two vehicles (tanks or otherwise) with the reduced impact of MG’s it will possibly refocus the game more onto the core infantry platoon and the infantry supports. No more medics riding around in halftracks full to the brim with MG’s

limburger
    21628xp
    Cult of Games Member

Speaking of medics and half tracks :
    I wonder if they’re going to do anything to make medics more fun/interesting.
    I think that it is the one unit type that never ever gets the attention it needs regardless of games or rules.

(this ’cause I saw the medic + kubelwagen they had in one of their recent newsletters … )

limburger
    21628xp
    Cult of Games Member

Possibly the most controversial update as of yet ?

New rules for shooting introduce the concept of cover saves.

It may be a bit like that other wargame, but as we only have humans to worry about things should be fairly logical.

Bolt Action: Third Edition – The Shooting Phase!

khusrau
    Participant
    1169xp

The various changes so far feel like it is edging it closer to something more like CoC. Not a bad thing in my book. I also like the changes to tank machine-guns, and MMG as well.

jamescutts
    6889xp
    Cult of Games Member

I’d agree actually @khusrau thats a good observation, it does seem to be taking some bits from Chain of Command while retaining the core of a less rigid adherence to simulation.

limburger
    21628xp
    Cult of Games Member

New week … new update.
    Special rules are discussed and examined

Bolt Action: Third Edition – Special Rules

Yet another update that makes sense. Pruning a list of ‘special rules’ is always good.
    Sure it sounds less sexy when your mountaineers get ‘field craft’ instead of ‘mountaineering’, but when the in-game effects are identical it is silly (and confusing) to have multiple rules that have a slightly different name and description.

The +1 for AT guns is an interesting one. Setting up AT guns in ambush will probably be a more useful tactic that could compensate for having to face more vehicles in the new army lists.

btw : I get the impression that v1 to v2 wasn’t such a big change, but I never played 1st so I don’t know if that is true. Could simply be the amount of info that Warlord is releasing.

grantinvanman
    Participant
    2101xp

v1 to v2 was definitely not as big of an change as this edition. I sort of like the way this edition is shaping up.

limburger
    21628xp
    Cult of Games Member

yeah, every thing they’ve changed makes sense or at least sounds logical to me.

limburger
    21628xp
    Cult of Games Member

Changes to vehicles :

Bolt Action: Third Edition – Vehicles

Keyword once again : streamlining of existing rules.

Vehicle damage table split into two (one for soft skins and one for armoured vehicles).

Armoured transports get a (small) chance to stay on the table when encountering enemy, which kind of makes sense.

Point costs changing is not a surprise, because the new army list structure most likely would require more than a bit of tweaking.

This has to be the one update with the smallest of changes, although technically a few were revealed already.

limburger
    21628xp
    Cult of Games Member

New info : troop quality and morale

Bolt Action: Third Edition – Troop Quality & Morale

easier to pin … easier to remove pins too.

Kind of makes sense, but then I’m sure die hard fans will find more reasons to complain about stuff that’s changing 😉

limburger
    21628xp
    Cult of Games Member

Snipers are up next :

Bolt Action: Third edition – Snipers

I think most folk are already on board with the v3 changes detailed so far … or they have given up and won’t bother.

I admit that this is another update that doesn’t set the world on fire 😀

The sneaky detail that gives snipers an automatic miss when firing from ambush at a target under 12″ is an interesting tweak.
    It kind of highlights that these guys ought to operate at long range.

smithsco
    Participant
    1212xp

The sniper rules here make sense. Also the automatic targeting of squad and team leaders. That’s very much the role of snipers in WWII.

limburger
    21628xp
    Cult of Games Member

yep … having to choose who you shot at was kind of silly, because of course you’d go for the leader figure (and work your way down to grunts if none of value were left).

I doubt the role of the sniper has changed at all. At best the definition of ‘high value target’ and the morality/ethics of using snipers, but that is a completely different topic.

limburger
    21628xp
    Cult of Games Member

New week … new update

Close combat getting a few tweaks.

It’s mostly a matter of who gets to apply damage first, with both teams applying the full effect of their numbers if there is no advantage. It makes it a bit more survivable if you have managed to dig in.

Although with my kind of dice rolling the defenders didn’t need the help 😉

Bolt Action: Third Edition – Close Combat!

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)