Skip to toolbar

a rule set for a "Game of Thrones" miniature battle game?

Home Forums Fantasy Tabletop Game Discussions a rule set for a "Game of Thrones" miniature battle game?

Supported by (Turn Off)

This topic contains 22 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  hithero 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

reaperfcrew
    2889xp
    Cult of Games Member

Hey.

So I am big fan of Game of Thrones, show and the books.

I am rewatching the show right now, and I like the look of the armies in the tv-show. I just found out that fireforge games had a kickstarter for their FORGOTTEN WORLD miniature range. I really want to make a stark army of their NORTHERN KINGDOM miniatures when they come out this august. Maybe in the future I will make a lannister army if they ever make their lookalike miniatures for them.

nm-warriors
    my question to you are:

what rule set will fit to play a Game of Thrones battle? I really like the idea for a rank and file kind of game. But not one with too much focus on bloks moving correctly, it has to be fast pace.  Maybe warlord games “Hail Caesar”? but then again there a some magical elements in GOT like dragons, undead and the red woman.? what will fit a fast pace rank and file game, with some magical elements and creatures? I know that CMON have their “song of is an fire” game, but I want to use the firforge models and I dont want to buy the CMON game just for the rules and cards and what not.

pictures from fireforge:

42177548_2170770949608884_5893599920807477248_o

42238188_2170770856275560_3889755763190530048_o

lordofuzkulak
    6332xp
    Cult of Games Member

Kings of War should work for what you want.

reaperfcrew
    2889xp
    Cult of Games Member

I have heard that game but I have never tried that game. Is it like old warhammer fantasy and is it simpler? 🙂

reaperfcrew
    2889xp
    Cult of Games Member

I am looking at the KINGS OF WAR HISTORICAL ARMIES. Do anyone have some experience with book? I can see that it says that it also have some magical elements in it.

suetoniuspaullinus
    12198xp

Tbh I wholeheartedly recommend CMON’s A Song Of Ice And Fire. The miniatures are absolutely fantastic. I don’t think you would regret it. Judging by the Let’s Plays the OTT guys had I think the game isn’t half bad either!

AE93D6DC-5C39-4C54-A398-7A905264A182

That said I’ve also backed Fireforge’s KS ?

I’m planning to build a Stark force for Saga.

admiralandy
    1647xp
    Cult of Games Member

Could also go for Dragon Rampant by Daniel Mersey £12.00, I mean £11.99 top whack, out of Osprey Blue Rules wargaming range. Get Lion Rampant too, as lot of armies are pretty much feudal level with maybe a smattering Viking/celt ish types. Forum with some additional army lists, and help from fellow players if you need it.

So bit of shopping around Get the two Rampants new and still change out of £20 imo, with what I find are a fun set of rules, great support avaliable, and there have been half a dozen quality articles and army lists in Wargames Illustrated and Wargame Soldiers and Stragtey that a quick google search should show which ones to track down if so inclined, some aticles in WI over last year where about sieges and seige engines.

Happy Gaming whatever you go for 🙂

torros
    23805xp
    Cult of Games Member

Do you want your games to have individual figure removal or or do you want multi figure bases?. How big do you want your games to be ?  There are many choices out there so some basic ideas of the type of games you want would be a good starting point

graystoak
    12231xp
    Cult of Games Member

ASOIAF by CMON is a great game with beautiful miniatures and is exactly what you are looking for!

It’s also based on the books rather than the TV show so the miniatures aren’t tied to the imagery of the show.

There is no reason you couldn’t use these models but you would have to rank them up on movement trays.

smithsco
    Participant
    1212xp

Kings of War Historical is simple, fast, and fun. Book and army lists are straightforward and easy to use. When my gaming group played our first game we agreed to switch all mass fantasy and pregunpowder games to KoW. The fantasy and historical rules are fully compatible so you could make any ASoFaI battles or armies you wanted

onlyonepinman
    18060xp
    Cult of Games Member

Looks like you have had a similar inspiration to myself…

I think the question you need to ask is what sort of game are you looking to play.  If you definitely need to play rank and file games then I think you’re probably looking at Kings of War with each faction being “Kingdoms of Men”.  Or you could go Dragon Rampant or even Lion Rampant if you want to cut out the more fantasy elements of the setting (i.e. play without fantasy creatures and magic).  You could even try the 9th Age rules.

Personally I am looking more at Saga Age of Magic.  It’s not really rank and file formation based but it’s got a massive degree of flexibility built into it.  A starter game will probably use something like 34 models and the largest games somewhere around the 60 models mark which means that you can start playing quickly.  It’s not the cheapest option at £40~ for the rules, but it is a very good option.

If you want to recreate things like the Battle of Winterfell you’re going to need something like Kings of War.  If you want to play smaller Battles between the many patrols and raiding forces then Saga is definitely the way to go.

torros
    23805xp
    Cult of Games Member

Dux Bellorum from Osprey could also work. Nice simple and but has options you can buy for each army. These options are quite general but could easily be changed and others added to give each army a unique flavour

reaperfcrew
    2889xp
    Cult of Games Member

@suetoniuspaullinus they sure look good when you paint them ! what are the scale 32 mm?? can I perhaps use the character models with the fireforge ?? Do you know if fireforge also will make their Lannister army at some point? 🙂

@admiralandy thanks! I will give that system a look. Maybe it a good excuse to finally buy some Wargames Illustrated 🙂

@smithsco Nice info 🙂 I didn’t know that the two systems was compatible. I am leaning more and more to KoW.

@onlyonepinman Nice input. Can saga be played with square bases? I think @lloyd said something about that on the show. If so I could start with Saga until I get a large force and then play KoW

@torros thanks! I will check that out!

suetoniuspaullinus
    12198xp

@reaperfcrew

Not sure what scale they are meant to be tbh but I know they really won’t fit with Fireforge. They are at least 32mm. ‘The Mountain that rides’ is massive ?

I am not aware of any Lannister plans, all depends on how successful their game will be I suppose. I think they might be more likely to go the classic fantasy route of Elves and Orks.

Again, CMON gives me the GoT figures I want and they are absolutely lovely imho. I just painted 46 Night’s Watch figures for someone and am still looking forward to painting my own set!!

Get yourself a taster from eBay maybe and see if you like them. If you don’t I bet you can sell them off very easily. Don’t get me wrong I love the FireForge minis but they aren’t specifically for GoT where you want characters like Jon Snow or Tyrion Lannister.

9A921A08-9638-4DF5-BB3F-FB53B9E07B31

admiralandy
    1647xp
    Cult of Games Member

Also depends if looking for a rule set were the larger than life special characters can make a difference, or if want the mass of troops with leaders a more subtle influence but not dominting. Would the Battle of the B*****ds have felt the same but for Jon Snow starting the charge and finishing it with his personal duel v Ramsay Bolton.

I’ve not played most of the other systems mentioned but have certainly heard of them.

onlyonepinman
    18060xp
    Cult of Games Member

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t play with square bases

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Supported by (Turn Off)